Town of Devon
Residential property owners in the Town of Devon can finance up to 100% of their energy efficiency or renewable energy projects
The Clean Energy Improvement Program, or CEIP, is an innovative financing tool for property owners to finance up to 100% of home energy efficiency upgrades and renewable energy installations. CEIP offers competitive financing and makes repayment convenient through your property’s regular tax bill.
The Clean Energy Improvement Program helps the Town of Devon achieve its sustainability goals. The Town passed the Clean Energy Improvement Tax Bylaw in November 2019. The program provides an affordable way for homeowners to make energy-saving improvements to their homes through low-interest financing. Plus, the program creates opportunities for local contractors.
Town of Devon’s Clean Energy Improvement Program
For full program details, please review the Town of Devon’s CEIP Terms and Conditions.
Participant & property eligibility
Must be the legal owner of an existing low-rise residential property located in the Town of Devon and meet all requirements listed in the Town of Devon’s CEIP Terms and Conditions.
All eligible energy efficiency and renewable energy upgrades are posted on the Residential Eligible Upgrades pages. Town of Devon participants must install eligible upgrades with a minimum total cost of $3,000 to qualify for financing.
The maximum financing term is the lesser of 20 years or the effective useful life (EUL) of the eligible upgrades. The EUL is the average time in years where the upgrade is expected to result in energy savings and is noted on the on the Residential Eligible Upgrades pages on the program website.
The interest rate provided by the Town of Devon for eligible CEIP projects is 4%.
The Town of Devon Home Energy Evaluation Incentive and the CEIP Upgrade Incentive can be stacked with incentives offered through the Government of Canada Greener Homes Program. Only incentives offered through CEIP will be applied to the project automatically.
Devon EnerGuide Home Evaluation Incentive
An EnerGuide Home Evaluation Incentive of $600 is available for the completion of a pre- and post-project EnerGuide Version 15 Home Evaluation. Incentive availability is limited and will be provided on a first-come, first-served basis to participants who complete a CEIP project. The incentive will be applied directly to the Clean Energy Improvement Tax to reduce the total project financing amount.
Devon Upgrade Incentive
An Upgrade Incentive of $500 is available for completed CEIP projects. Incentive availability is limited and will be provided on a first-come, first-served basis to participants who complete a CEIP project. The incentive will be applied directly to the Clean Energy Improvement Tax to reduce the total project financing amount. Only one CEIP Upgrade Incentive of $500 is available per project.
Start your Clean Energy Improvement Program journey
Read the Town of Devon CEIP Terms and Conditions, then complete the Pre-Qualification Form with your property’s details. The Pre-Qualification Form is used by the Town of Devon and Alberta Municipalities to confirm that you and the property meet the basic program eligibility criteria.
When submitting the Pre-Qualification Form you must upload:
- Proof that you have proof that the property to be upgraded is insured (i.e., home insurance with personal liability coverage of at least $1 million). Accepted proof includes documentation that clearly states the policy provider, policy number, property address, personal liability coverage, and duration of the policy (e.g., insurance binder letter).
- Proof that payments are current if there is property-secured debt associated with the Property (e.g., mortgage and/or property-secured line of credit). Accepted proof includes statements showing the three most recent payments or a letter from the lender stating the Participant is current on payments.
After Pre-Qualification is confirmed, complete an EnerGuide Home Evaluation, select a Qualified Contractor, and submit the Project Application Form provided by Alberta Municipalities:
- Schedule a pre-project EnerGuide Home Evaluation using a Natural Resources Canada (NRCan) Energy Advisor. Choose from the Energy Advisors listed on the Qualified Contractor Directory. If you have completed an EnerGuide Home Evaluation (version 15), you may not need to complete a new one. Check the Town of Devon CEIP Terms and Conditions to confirm which EnerGuide Home Evaluation version is eligible.
- Using the Renovation Upgrade Report provided by your Energy Advisor as a guide, decide which eligible upgrades you want to finance through CEIP. The upgrade must be listed on the CEIP Eligible Upgrades list and must meet all eligibility requirements.
- Next, visit the Qualified Contractor Directory and contact Qualified Contractors to get quotes for eligible upgrades. We recommend getting quotes from at least three different Qualified Contractors for each upgrade.
- With the help of your Qualified Contractor(s), complete the Project Application Form and submit the completed form and all required supporting documents to Alberta Municipalities as outlined on the Eligible Residential CEIP Upgrades.
If the Project Application is approved, we will confirm the approved financing amount and provide the Clean Energy Improvement Agreement and the Project Agreement for your review and signature. Both agreements must be signed by all required parties before upgrade installation(s) can begin.
What are the program agreements?
- The Clean Energy Improvement (CEI) Agreement is an agreement between the property owner and the municipality. It sets out the financing terms, disclosure requirements in the event of property sale, eligible project costs and project completion deadline.
- The Project Agreement is a tri-party agreement between the property owner, the Qualified Contractor, and Alberta Municipalities. It defines the scope of the project and sets out the terms relating to the Qualified Contractor’s installation of the upgrades. For projects where you are hiring more than one Qualified Contractor, a Project Agreement will need to be signed with each Primary Qualified Contractor. For more detail on the project agreement, see the Town of Devon CEIP Terms and Conditions.
After all agreements are signed, Alberta Municipalities will send an Installation Authorization Notice, at which point upgrade installation(s) can begin. All upgrades that are part of the project must be completed within six months of receiving the Installation Authorization Notice.
When the installation of an approved upgrade is complete, you must submit an Upgrade Completion Form confirming final upgrade details and costs to Alberta Municipalities for review. If your CEIP project has multiple upgrades completed at different times, multiple Upgrade Completion Forms will need to be submitted.
Once the Upgrade Completion Form is processed and approved, Alberta Municipalities will pay your Qualified Contractor(s) directly.
Once all upgrades in your project are complete, an updated Clean Energy Improvement Agreement will need to be signed with the Town of Devon, to confirm the final amount to be financed.
After all approved upgrades in a CEIP project are installed, a post-project EnerGuide Home Evaluation must be completed to determine the energy savings and verify the installation. Property owners will receive a new EnerGuide rating and label. This label and the invoice for the evaluation must be submitted to Alberta Municipalities.
Once the project is deemed complete, the approved project cost will be recorded on the property’s tax account. Any Town of Devon incentives the project is eligible for will be applied to this financing amount, reducing the total amount owing. Only incentives offered through CEIP will be applied to the project automatically.
You will repay the cost of the project over time through the Clean Energy Improvement Tax added to your property’s tax bill. The outstanding balance may be paid at any time.
Town of Devon Qualified Contractors
Find a local contractor to upgrade your property. Browse the Contractor Directory to get started with a professional who already understands your financing requirements.